Author

Author of The Christmas Village and Return to Canterbury

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

S is for St. Marys and St. Nicholas Church

Saint Marys and Saint Nicholas Church in Beaumaris, Wales is a medieval church in a medieval town. Beaumaris is a small town on the Isle of Anglesey North Wales. The church was built in the 14th century. It holds a number of tombs, including that of Princess Joan of Wales, who was the daughter of King John of England and who was married to Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Wales.

When my mother's school was evacuated to Beaumaris in 1939, they attended this church Every Sunday, the students paraded through town in their Blue Coat uniforms, marched into the church and became the church choir.












10 comments:

Rosie Amber said...

Some lovely stained glass windows. dropping in from the A to Z an a link on Diane Coto's blog FictionZeal.com
@rosieamber1
Rosie Amber - Book reviewer. Campaigning to link more readers to writers.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I have been to England twice but I have never been to Wales. Looking at your pictures have given me a desire to see that part of the country.
Great article with great pictures.
Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.
Shalom,
Patricia at Everything Must Change

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

The church is almost mystically. It's filled with very old crypts. Gorgeous place.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I did not see nearly enough of Wales! I hope I can go back someday for more.

Diane Coto said...

Hi there - Very beautiful churches. They look like they've been kept up with very well. BTW, I gave a shout out to your blog on my 'T' post today.
@dino0726 from 
FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

Diane Coto said...

Hi there - Very beautiful churches. They look like they've been kept up with very well. BTW, I gave a shout out to your blog on my 'T' post today.
@dino0726 from 
FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Thank you Diane! When we were there, the church was trying to raise $50,000 for a new roof. I wish I had the money to give them!!

Annie said...

Hi Melissa, So glad I found you from the shout out on Diane's blog on her T post. Your photographs convey the mystical aspect of the church so well. And I also found your lovely trailer for The Christmas Village. I have a T is for Trailer on my A-Z post and hoped you might visit and add a link to your trailer in the comments? It's such a good example to follow.
@AnneKnol1 from
New Author Support - Tips on Writing and Promotion from A to Z

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Annie, you are so kind. Thank you for coming by. I'll pop over to your blog - appreciate the support. Melissa

Annalisa Crawford said...

Beautiful church. One of the best things about churches of that style is the smell - it's such a warm, smoky, woody smell.